selecting wood floors

Old 08-20-00, 05:25 PM
Visiting Guest
Question

We are renovating our entire house and originally thought we would use oak floors. Someone suggested hard yellow pine...is there such thing as "HARD" Yellow Pine? Would you recommed it? As far as price is concerned we don't want to break the bank...which the oak would do for us. I actually like the look of the yellow pine so the look is OK for me...I am looking for durability. Also hear of bamboo...???

Old 08-20-00, 07:48 PM
Visiting Guest
The yellow pine is a softer wood than the oak but it loods good on the floor. It sands easier than oak but it is also is easier to get high/low spots during sanding. Pine, due to the varying density of the wood, sometimes stains out blotchy and uneven.

I have no information on bamboo.

Old 08-20-00, 10:32 PM
Visiting Guest
The pine you are refering to is Southern Yellow Pine. It is commonly used in making Stair treads in new homes. It sands, stains, wears well. It has the ability to hide nicks well because of the grain in this wood. I think if you are looking for an informal look this is a great choice, but if you want more formal Oak is better. As far as breaking the bank that really depends on what breaks you pocket book. Wood floors are one of the most expensive to install. Bamboo floor is about 26% harder than Maple. It has a very tight grain and very little color in the in the grain. It almost looks like it belongs in a contempory home. If you deside to go with hard wood floors... check into a product called Fabulon... It is a great floor sealer.
quote:<HR>Originally posted by Amy Carthy:
We are renovating our entire house and originally thought we would use oak floors. Someone suggested hard yellow pine...is there such thing as "HARD" Yellow Pine? Would you recommed it? As far as price is concerned we don't want to break the bank...which the oak would do for us. I actually like the look of the yellow pine so the look is OK for me...I am looking for durability. Also hear of bamboo...???<HR>

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: