double underlayment under floating floor?

Old 03-09-10, 08:29 PM
D
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
double underlayment under floating floor?

Just wondering, can 2 underlayments be used under a floating floor? I'm going to put in a floating floor and I want to make sure I don't get that hollow or clicky clacky sound, so I'm trying to figure out what underlayment to use. What about 3mm cork and something like quietwalk used together? would that be overkill? Sure it costs more but I don't want to spend 3000 bucks on wood and have it sound like a cheap floor, so a few hundred bucks extra wouldn't be a big deal. Thanks for any thoughts.

Old 03-10-10, 04:37 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
Don't do anything not specified in the manufacturer's spec sheet. I don't believe any will allow doubling the underlayment. I also think doubling the underlayment will make the floor feel too soft to the touch and may jeopardize the integrity of the joints. Others may chime in here with different ideas, so give a chance.

Old 03-10-10, 06:28 AM
I've laid a lot of floating floors in the last year. Kitchens, powder rooms, dining rooms, and entry hallways.

The best result I have gotten from floating floors is where I used 1/2" ply and the cheapest foam underlayment possible.

There were instances where I used 1/4" luan and the $60 red bubble "super layment". It produced a much spongier, hollow sounding result.

Old 03-10-10, 06:09 PM
D
riggstad, when you say 1/2 " ply do you mean a layer of plywood under the flooring or using 1/2" thick engineered flooring?

Old 03-11-10, 10:44 AM
1/2" plywood under the flooring. The thickness in finished flooring you choose won't make a difference other than how much your floor rises to meet the next rooms transition.

I've used the 1/4" luan in order to stay within a certain height of meeting those transitions in specific jobs, INSTEAD of 1/2 ply because of that.

But like I said, the best results I have gotten were with 1/2 " plywood, cheapest white foam underlayment (I think $25 bucks for 100 square at HD or Lowes), and the engineered 1/4" pergo like stuff in terms of sound and feel qualities.

Old 03-11-10, 04:54 PM
D
I do have a situation where I'm trying not to make the floor too high due to transition height from another floor, so do think it would be better to put down 1/4" luan, underlayment, and then a 3/8" engineered wood, or just the underlayment and a 1/2" or 5/8" in engineered wood? Also, I'm assuming you'd put a vapor barrier down under the luan or 1/2" ply, then the underlayment on that, then the flooring, correct? And how do you attach the plywood/luan, float it and glue the t&g, or do you glue it down to the slab?
Thanks riggstad.

Last edited by dancyr; 03-11-10 at 05:27 PM.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: