Laminate Floor Brands

Old 08-28-00, 12:02 PM
Cwilliams
Visiting Guest
I will be installing a laminate floor in a remodelled kitchen. I have heard that Wilsonart is a good brand to use, is this true? If not, what would you recommend?

Old 08-28-00, 12:42 PM
Visiting Guest
I have put down several wilsonart floors and have had no problems putting them down nor have I had any callbacks. Wilsonart and Harto are the two top sellers in my area.

Scott Stephens may be able to shed some more light on this subject as all I do is install what the customer buys.

Old 08-28-00, 08:02 PM
T
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If laminate is your product of preference, overall there is not much difference in products. Most surveys however tend to recommend Wilsonart and Formica as the prime choices. But, those surveys like political campaigns are prejudiced. My preference is reall hardwood, 3/4". It's the only floor covering that will add value to your home. It may well be there 200 years longer than you. Laminate is however a popular product for below grade applications because of temperature and humdidity changes.

Old 08-28-00, 10:10 PM
Visiting Guest
Twelve, no differece in brands? Paleeease! In my opinion there's Wilsonart,Pergo a distant second, a whole bunch of so so stuff below that (like Traffic Zone & Pickering), and all the really junky stuff at the bottom (like Mohawk Insignia - UGH, what garbage!). Believe me there's a big difference.

Wilsonart is a high presure laminate (as opposed to direct pressue) and has the most consistant milling of any laminate I've ever seen. Also, their moldings are laminate over wood, not paper over paper. A properly installed Wilsonart floor is the nicest laminate you can buy.

As for Formica, I don't see why they get such high ratings. Their milling is a little sloppy, the planks chip easyer than Pergo or Wilsonart (during installation) and their gluing regimen sucks.

Hardwood generally does add more value to your home, but it isn't for everyone. I wouldn't pick laminate for a million dollar home, but I wouldn't pick hardwood for a family with a bunch of small kids and large dogs. Every type of flooring has it's place.

Scott Stephens www.stephensfloor.com

Old 08-29-00, 05:09 PM
Visiting Guest
Well Said, Scott!

Old 08-30-00, 06:21 AM
Cwilliams
Visiting Guest
Thanks to all for the information, especially Scott.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: