prefinished hardwood floors

Old 09-16-00, 10:00 AM
Visiting Guest
Question

Do you have to seal a prefinished hardwood floor? I want a hardwood floor in my bedroom but my husband and father both feel it would need to be sealed to keep dirt, etc. out of the "cracks" between the strips of wood. Is this a problem with prefinished hardwood floors?

Old 09-16-00, 11:29 AM
Visiting Guest
No. Do not seal it. It would probably void your warrantee. Because of natural expansion and contraction, you cannot hope to seal the cracks anyway. Hopefully, the cracks are insignificantly small anyway.

Old 09-19-00, 07:36 PM
T
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Prefinished hardwood floors do not need additional sealing. They should never be waxed. If flooring was properly acclimated to the home's temperature and humidity for several days before installation and proper expansion joints were allowed along the perimeter, you should have no problems due to expansion/contraction. Damp mop with a pH neutral cleaner or the manufacturer's recommended cleaner with a mop squeezed nearly dry. Towel dry each section as you go, as wood does not like water. Make sure you have mats inside & outside doors to collect grit and dirt. Dust mop or vacuum regularly with brush attachment. No beater bars. Put felt on bottoms of all furniture and do not scoot things on floor. Your hardwood floors should last at least 200 years.
Patricia Fisher @ www.twelvepole.com

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: