Sealing exposed edges of Wilsonart laminate flooring in basement?

Old 03-17-10, 08:09 PM
G
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Sealing exposed edges of Wilsonart laminate flooring in basement?

Wondering how a pro would handle installing laminate floor in a basement of their own home. Wilsonart installation suggests sealing the exposed edges with their silicone sealant. A tube is over $18. A tube of GE regular silicone is $3-4 dollars, but I'm not sure if the Wilsonart silicone is specifically formulated for a laninate floor.

Any insight is appreciated.

Thanks,
Guy

Old 03-18-10, 06:21 AM
T
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
By exposed edges, I'm assuming you mean at the perimeter of the room, in the expansion space?

That is only necessary when installing in wet areas such as kitchens and baths. There's no need to do it in the basement. If you're laying in a basement, you should be using a vapor barrier over the slab. Allow your vapor barrier to run up the wall a few inches and cover it with the baseboard, and you have sealed the floor from any vapor emmissions from below or parallel. If you get water flooding the basement, that seal around the perimeter is not doing anything anyway...the floor's gonna be ruined.

But, when sealing is necessary, you don't have to use the Wilsonart sealant. They recommend theirs when the seal is going to be visible (sealing the joint at a metal threshold for example) because the sealant is matched to the floor color. But if you're sealing a gap that's going to be covered by base or quarter round, it just needs to be a mold/mildew resistant silicone type sealant....I use the GE Sil-II.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: