Should I tear down my old floor

Old 03-18-10, 03:17 PM
Should I tear down my old floor

Hi , thank for reading my post.

Currently I rip open the carpet and find 1/4 inch thick strips of degrading (terrible shape and warping) wood. The floors are squeaking everywhere but I do plan to screw the floor. Now Should I take it out and then install 3/4 plywood or install the 3/4 plywood on top of it. As i plan to replace the old door also.

As some floor installers are claiming that eventually the old floor will squeak again..but not sure if I can trust them as I know they want to charge for the tearing out the floor and trashing it.

I plan to lay 1/2 laminate on top of the plywood.

thank you.

Last edited by buggy; 03-18-10 at 05:58 PM.
Sponsored Links
Old 03-18-10, 06:38 PM
Hi , thank for reading my post..
I haven't read it yet.

... or install the 3/4 plywood on top of it. As i plan to replace the old door also.
The fact that you intend to replace your door doesn't make it easier to add 1 1/4 " height to your floor. OK 1" height. You said the carpet was 1/4". Your new door would have to be modified in that case. As would your existing. What other thresholds or transistions will be effected by the greatly increased floor height?

As some floor installers are claiming that eventually the old floor will squeak again..but not sure if I can trust them as I know they want to charge for the tearing out the floor and trashing it..
You say yourself that the existing subfloor is warped. I think the installers just want to be able to do it right. And of course they'll want to be compensated for doing the extra step. But what will you gain if you skip that step?

What room(s) we talkin' and are you fixing it up to sell or no?