New engineered floor next to old hardwood

Old 03-18-10, 08:35 PM
New engineered floor next to old hardwood

I've decided to install an engineered wood floor in my newly remodeled kitchen. The issue I'm having is that there are two pocket doors into the kitchen (one from the living room, the other from the entryway). Both of these rooms (living room and entryway) have old, real oak hardwood floors that will be refinished in a couple of weeks. I'm a little concerned about how its going to look having an old, refinished real hardwood floor butting up against a new engineered wood floor in the two doorways. Should I attempt to try and match the new floor to the old hardwood floors? Or is that hopeless? Or should I purposely select a style/color that is obviously not a match to the old floor? Are there any guidelines or rules for this kind of situation? Maybe I'm worrying about nothing here, but this has been bugging me a lot lately. Any advice will be greatly appreciated!

Sponsored Links
Old 03-19-10, 10:53 AM
Is it too late to use 'real' oak hardwood in the kitchen?

Old 03-19-10, 11:07 AM
You are really worrying about nothing here. I have the original oak flooring throughout my house and have replaced the kitchen floor as well. I also used engineered flooring (pine, very light) that butts up into the original oak. Of course I have a transition piece joining all three entry ways where they meet but it looks very good.

My rooms are exceptionally large as well so it's not as if it is unnoticeable. It also helps to break up the look of the rooms as well.

Now, if you are concerned about the look, I would suggest tearing up the entry way and replacing that with the flooring you will be using for the kitchen as well.

Really, it's nothing more than a matter of personal choice.

Good Luck!