Help - stain on red oak floors looks purple

Old 03-23-10, 06:27 PM
Help - stain on red oak floors looks purple

I am refinishing my red oak hardwood floors and after putting on Varathane's Dark Walnut, my floors came out a purplish brown, and not the chocolate brown that I was hoping for and what the colour sample showed. Does anyone know what caused this?

Sponsored Links
Old 03-24-10, 04:18 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Upvotes Received: 72
Have you applied any poly yet? Wood colors can appear different before the sealer gets applied. I'd try the poly on a small area first. The different colors and grains in each piece of wood will alter the look some.

Old 03-24-10, 09:12 AM
I applied the poly in one of the rooms to see what it would look like. The colour turned out a redish brown. It did tone down the purplish look, but it's definitely not the chocolate brown I was going for. Any idea why this happened?

Old 03-24-10, 03:40 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Upvotes Received: 72
You can use the same exact stain on different pieces of wood but get different coloring. Besides the difference between species, how the tree grew [type of soil, weather, etc] can affect how the wood will look and accept stain.

It's usually best to color match your stain to the wood you are using but even then there will be differences between the boards since they didn't all come from the same tree although even the same tree can be different thru the various parts of the tree.

Because of all the natural differences it can be difficult to get a consistent match thru out the job. I bet if you look hard you will find some boards that match your sample.

The odds are the stain will grow on you. It will look a lot better after several coats of poly [don't forget to sand between coats]. If you are convinced you won't like the color it would be best to stop now, sand off the stain and start over