Nail or glue into OSB?

Old 03-24-10, 10:09 AM
U
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Nail or glue into OSB?

Hello all,

I'm installing 5/8" Bamboo Engineered onto 7/16" OSB underlay. From what I understand, it is OK to nail into 3/4" OSB, but what about 5/8? I can borrow a cleat nailer, and put down some 15# roofing felt first. Or is it better to just glue the planks to the OSB in this scenario?

Also, on a side note, is it OK to have nailed flooring meet glued flooring without any T moulding? Reason I ask is that the kitchen is open to the living room, and if I was to glue the planks in the kitchen (for better water resistance), I want to know if I can stop gluing at one point and start nailing.

Let me know if you need more info, and thank you for any help!

Old 03-26-10, 09:42 PM
U
Anybody? Under the OSB I put down is 1x4 plank subfloor, layed on a diagonal.

Old 03-29-10, 05:33 AM
H
Water will find it's way and damage anything. I don't see any benefit gluing one area. As far as the other question, you can minimize the fear by fastening into the floor joists, through the OSB to give the flooring better holding power. Of course you'll have to layout the felt, staple it (so it doesn't move) and mark where all the joists run.

Old 03-29-10, 06:51 AM
U
Not sure why it didn't hit me before, but you're completely right! Except I doubt I'll reach the joists, but then theres the subfloor planks which I screwed well into the joists.... what if I use 2" cleats or staples, to go throught the OSB into the 3/4" planks?

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: