Oak Stair risers vs. Painted Stair risers

Old 11-14-00, 08:51 AM
Resqman
Visiting Guest
We are in the design process of renovating our main stairs. They lead from our newly installed natural finish red oak hardwood entrance foyer up to the second floor.

We are going to install oak stair treads and handrails. The question is: Should the riser also be oak or should they be painted?

I have seem them both ways. I like the clean crisp look of the white paint against the natural finish wood. I have heard that it is a constant battle to keep the risers free from scuff marks that really stand out on the white paint. All the other wood work in the house is painted white enamel so the painted risers would go well.

I like the all oak look because I am a wood fanatic. I am just not sure if it would overpower the foyer.

We might put a runner down the center of the stairs to help reduce scuff marks and wear on the hardwoods. Renovaters Hardware has some really nice brass rods to secure the carpet that would pickup the brass light fixture, door hardware, and switch plates. The jury is still out on that option as well.

I realize that this is simply an opinion poll but if you have any experience with either arrangement, I would like to hear from you. Thanks!

Old 11-14-00, 01:19 PM
Elite Flooring/Ken Fisher
Visiting Guest
Smile

Res:

I've seen both applications and I prefer the look of painted risers. If you choose that route, use poplar as it takes paint much better than most other woods. I think the runner sounds great with the use of the stair rods. Have you thought of being a decorator?

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: