Installing engineered hardwood floor over linoleum?

Old 04-01-10, 10:20 AM
P
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Installing engineered hardwood floor over linoleum?

I am installing engineered hardwood flooring in the laundry room, entry hall and the kitchen. The floor currently has two layers of linoleum flooring, the bottom being all glue and top edge glued. I am going to pull up the top layer but have read conflicting views as to whether or not I can install the engineered flooring directly to the all glued linoleum (concrete slab under this). What is recommended and if I can leave the linoleum down then what should I do to prep it?

Old 04-02-10, 11:16 PM
F
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Cool

Originally Posted by psnewhouse
I am installing engineered hardwood flooring in the laundry room, entry hall and the kitchen. The floor currently has two layers of linoleum flooring, the bottom being all glue and top edge glued. I am going to pull up the top layer but have read conflicting views as to whether or not I can install the engineered flooring directly to the all glued linoleum (concrete slab under this). What is recommended and if I can leave the linoleum down then what should I do to prep it?

1 layer of linoleum is the maximum amount of layers you can have. You can install over a full glue application. For hardwood application, You must prep the floors by making sure the edge glue is all removed by using a heavy duty adhesive remover. You can fine this in any Lowes or Home Depot in their flooring Department. Other prep work you should be aware of is you want to make sure you floor is completely flat. Any dips should be filled in with a self leveling compound. Personally, I would highly recommend ripping up the linoleum. That would be the smartest and safest route. Hope this helps. Good Luck!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: