Old Hardwood floor...Need Planing?

Old 04-15-10, 04:35 PM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Old Hardwood floor...Need Planing?

Hi, I have a hardwood floor that used to be a verandah...I was thinking about sanding and sealing it but my Dad reckons that for old boards like that you have to plane about 1/8 of an inch off the surface in order to get it back to a super-smooth finish.

I've looked at it in several places (just lifting up the carpet) and it seems fairly smooth already. I'd say 75% of the area you could rub your hand over it without worrying about splinters, the rest is a little rough around the seams and edges.

This is meant to be a quick DIY job, and it's not a feature room or anything, my parents were just using it as storage before I said I wanted to move in there. I was hoping I could sand it, vacuum it, use some filler to fill any remaining rough bits and then seal it. What do you think?

Cheers
Sam

Old 04-16-10, 03:39 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 11 Upvotes on 10 Posts
Planing is almost too drastic. I believe you can achieve satisfactory results using a belt type flooring sander, then applying a finish.

Old 04-16-10, 04:45 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 875 Upvotes on 766 Posts
I agree that a drum sander does the best job of sanding the floor down but they can be tricky for a diyer to use. A floor buffer [with sanding pad/screen] is a lot more forgiving although you won't be able to sand as deep as you can with a drum sander.

Old 04-16-10, 04:14 PM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
If the floorboards aren't rippled, otherwise warped or discolored and only need sanding, you could even use a palm sander. Just do some research on finishing floors before you seal.

With the kind of grit that is available even with rental buffer type sanders, (gravel driveway on a plate) it wouldn't matter if a solid wood floor was warped. You could still fix it without taking it up. It would have to be pretty extreme to warrant planing.

Old 04-16-10, 09:16 PM
S
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Great thanks guys...I might start with one of those little hand sanders and do a bit near one edge and see how it comes up. If it looks OK then I'll pad my knees and get to work on the rest of it.

Cheers
Sam

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: