Harbor Freight Flooring Nailer

Old 04-16-10, 10:33 AM
Question Harbor Freight Flooring Nailer

I'm installing a Shaw hardwood product and spoke to 1 of their install techs. He said to use a Stanley/Bostich 97125-2 adjustable head nailer, using crown staples. I was planning to rent from Home Depot. But a nailer from Harbor Freight looks like a shameless copy and is on sale for $100. Not sure what the rental is yet on the Stanley, but at my slow work pace I 'll bet I could match the $100 in rental fees. My need now is for one 600 sf room in my house, but I envision more in the future. Plus any time I can justify a tool purchase offset by DIY labor, I like it!

Here is a link: - Harbor Freight Tools - Quality Tools at the Lowest Prices

If that does not work, it is Harbor Freight item # 99640-OVGA.

Any thoughts or knowledge about this unit? I'm sure you commercial guys might scoff at it's long-term prospects, but keep in mind, I'm an occasional-use homeowner. Cheap Harbor Freight tools can make a lot of sense for non-professional use.

Thanks/Rich

Last edited by zippinbye; 04-16-10 at 10:34 AM. Reason: spelling
Sponsored Links
Old 04-16-10, 12:49 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
I do it professionally, and have rented Bostitch in the past. I have found it is one of the most maintenance expensive nailers around. Our local rental place has 15 on hand, with 7 in the shop at any given time. With that said and the cost of the Bostitch approaching $500, I have gone your route. I purchased a lesser expensive, lesser known brand nailer (probably from China, but what isn't), and have floored 4 houses with it without even a missed staple. Cost about $120. Proper oiling is mandatory. Caveat emptor.

Old 04-16-10, 06:43 PM
I own that exact harbor freight nailer... I have done 3 powder rooms, 3 dining rooms, 1 living room, and about 5 hall ways without any issue.

Get it.

Old 04-16-10, 07:15 PM
Group Moderator
You learn more here by accident, then elsewhere by design. Thanks!

Old 04-21-10, 12:19 PM
Smile Bought The H.F. Nailer

Thanks for the info guys. Bought the Harbor Freight nailer yesterday. Used a $99.99 coupon vs. list of $169.99. Their latest mailing had two coupons for different amounts ... $109.99 and $149.99, so it pays to look around for the best coupon. Like I said earlier, this gun is clearly a unapologetic copy of the 97125-2. Should serve me well.

- Rich