Asbestos flooring - Need Advice

Old 04-19-10, 07:01 AM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Asbestos flooring - Need Advice

I'm a first time home owner renovating my basement. This weekend I broke up and removed all the old tile in my basement and after the fact someone told me it may have been asbestos. My house is old but I didnt realize that this could be a concern. It was in good condition but I broke it all up in pieces when I removed it. There was a lot of dust down there, but I had thought it was probably from other parts of the reno we did, not the tiles. I breathed in alot of dust in the process and was only wearing a surgical mask when I did the work. I had some loose plastic hanging at the top of the stairs so not alot of dust went into the rest of the house. Does anyone know what I should do now?

Last edited by scapin; 04-19-10 at 07:19 AM.
Old 04-24-10, 08:03 AM
F
Was there black glue? Black glue is a good indication of abestos-not always but a good clue. What color if not black? How old is the home?

Old 04-24-10, 08:15 AM
S
Originally Posted by floorinspector
Was there black glue? Black glue is a good indication of abestos-not always but a good clue. What color if not black? How old is the home?
The home was built in the 1930's. There is black glue under the tiles which I think is also made with asbestos now that I have spoken to a few people. I've purchased beanedoo to remove the mastic. Dept of health and human services told me to wipe everything down with a wet cloth after letting the room settle for two days. Any other recommendations?

Old 04-24-10, 09:06 AM
F
let settle then wipe with wet cloth. Also, use a vacuum with hepa filter.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: