Face nailing starter row- through floor joists?

Old 04-27-10, 05:54 AM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Question Face nailing starter row- through floor joists?

I've heard conflicting advice on this one: should starter row of 3/4" hardwood flooring be face nailed through floor joists, should I take care to avoid joists, or doesn't it matter? If I nail the starting row "too securely" will it inhibit proper expansion of floor into expansion space between floor and wall?

Old 04-27-10, 07:55 AM
E
Originally Posted by joe28_bak
I've heard conflicting advice on this one: should starter row of 3/4" hardwood flooring be face nailed through floor joists, should I take care to avoid joists, or doesn't it matter? If I nail the starting row "too securely" will it inhibit proper expansion of floor into expansion space between floor and wall?
Not a flooring pro, but ive put down 6 hardwood floors. Ive honestly never heard of any specific way to attach the starting row. ive always just face nailed it about every 10 inches into the subfloor. my understanding was to get that starting row as secure as possible to ensure that my floor stays square as i work into the room. I didnt want that first row to move and throw off my measurements. Think about it this way, do you attach any of the other boards to the joists? and as far as making it too secure, Good practice is to nail or staple your hardwood down every 8-10"' so why would the starting row be any different. Hope this helps until a pro shows up.

Another good tip, make sure you use your longest boards for the staring row, and make sure your running your floor perpendicular to your floor joists.

Last edited by ElectricJoeNJ; 04-27-10 at 08:01 AM. Reason: added tips.
Old 04-27-10, 06:27 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 10 Upvotes on 9 Posts
I always face nail close to the edge, then angle nail through the tongue with a 16 gauge nailer and 2 1/2" nails. The face nailing helps to keep the angle nailing from moving the board as EJ stated is very important. Shoe molding will generally cover it, but you can always use Minwax sticks to blend in with.

Old 04-27-10, 09:29 PM
E
Originally Posted by chandler
I always face nail close to the edge, then angle nail through the tongue with a 16 gauge nailer and 2 1/2" nails. The face nailing helps to keep the angle nailing from moving the board as EJ stated is very important. Shoe molding will generally cover it, but you can always use Minwax sticks to blend in with.
Good tip Chandler, i forgot to mention that. I usally self nail my first 3-4 boards in through the toungue until i can get my pnuematic nailer to fit in.

Old 05-03-10, 12:26 AM
L
Hi there. I also do as the above say-top nail every foot or so and tongue nail after. The thing I do too is I use liquid nails on the first run. I usually use it on the last board as well.
As long as you find a good color match filler, your floor will look great! Good luck, Greg

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: