How to Clean my HW Floors

Old 04-26-10, 02:00 PM
B
Received 5 Upvotes on 4 Posts
How to Clean my HW Floors

Hi,

Our hardwood floors are about 9 years old and other than running a dry, soft mop over them I dont think have ever been cleaned. The floow is a chery color but it seems our socks always look dirty afterwalking around on them. A damp towel? Or is there a solution with soap?

Also over the years dirt, food and grime has accumulated in the seams between the boards. NOt sure if there's anything to do about that?

Old 04-27-10, 07:29 AM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb

Your cleaning method for hardwood floors will depend on what type of finish they have- surface vs. penetrating. A surface finish (typically polyurethane based, and typical on factory pre-finished floors) is best cleaned with a mild detergent such as a weak Simple Green solution. This finish is essentially plastic and you shouldn't use oil-based cleaners or wax. Remember that while the finish itself is waterproof, the wood underneath isn't. To prevent water damage and swelling which will loosen finish film from wood, use a barely damp cloth or mop.
A floor with a penetrating finish should be treated as any other woodwork or furniture; i.e. avoid water. If the floors are really dirty, they can be cleaned with a solution of Murphy's Oil Soap and warm water, again with a well-wrung out cloth. Allow the floor to dry thoroughly, then apply liquid or paste floor wax according to package directions and buff to a shine.

Old 05-05-10, 09:52 AM
B
Received 5 Upvotes on 4 Posts
OK, this is very helpful feedback. Thanks! I think I have the surface type finish but will check. My wife saw this "steam cleaner" gadget for HQ floors and thought the steam/heat might do a good job.

Sounds like that would be too much water!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: