Oak spruce up?

Old 05-23-10, 04:49 PM
Oak spruce up?

I have a 1902 short board oak floor that was refinished 5 yrs ago with water based Glitza. It has become dull in the high traffic areas. Is there any product out there that will restore a little lustre?? My wife said that in years long ago paste wax made it too slippery. Thanks for any advice.

Sponsored Links
Old 05-24-10, 05:14 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
You could lightly sand the floor and apply a fresh coat of finish. You'd need to do the whole floor to make it look right.

Old 05-24-10, 07:37 AM
Thanks mark

I was afraid of that. With 3 cats that is almost out of the question. It was a nightmare 5 yrs ago when the pros did it. Also, they are getting about $3.50/sq ft. I considered doing it myself, but don't know how to remove the dust effectively.

Old 05-24-10, 08:21 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
A small orbiter sander will work ok for just renewing the finish. For the most part a shop vac will remove the sanding dust. A damp rag would also work. Can the cats go on vacation?

Old 05-24-10, 09:34 AM
What product??

What would you recommend to go over the Glitza?? Also the pros used a gap filler, which they told me was essentially drywall mud, tinted to match. It was pretty neat for a while when it was covered with 3 coats of finish, but a lot is cracked out now. As you can imagine with the very dry climate here, the boards are considerably smaller than 110 years ago. That cat vacation is a tough one. I would prefer to remain married.

Old 05-24-10, 02:00 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
I'm not real familiar with waterbased polys but it would be best to stick with waterbased, an oil based poly might change the look of the wood. You can use the same type of grain/crack filler they used previously.

Old 05-25-10, 01:31 PM
You need to look again into having it professionally screened and recoated....$3.50 a s/f is way out of line for a recoat...I think you are referring to a full sand and finish. A recoat involves lightly abrading the existing finish then applying a new coat over it. Nowhere near the mess, inconvenience, or expense of a sand and finish. You should be able to get it done for $1.50 - $2.00 a s/f MAX. I've seen it for even less in some markets, but you have to be careful going to cheap...lots of fly-by-nighters out there.

Old 05-26-10, 10:18 AM
Thx Floorgugy

Can you define screen and recoat vs complete sand and finish. 5 yrs ago they drum/edge sanded, filled gaps and put on 3 coats of Glitza water base. That was $3.25/ sq ft and a hellava mess. I think the previously described light sand (150 grit maybe?) and recoat with a water based polyurethane is within my range of capabilities. Also, it is within the range of value of this floor. No telling how many refinishes it has had in 110 yrs. and boards have all gotten narrower with our humidities.