Laminate Floor in Bath - Is it a Good Idea?

Old 05-24-10, 10:53 AM
Laminate Floor in Bath - Is it a Good Idea?

I am remodeling two bathrooms - one full and one half. I was planning to install a click in place laminate with a faux slate finish over the existing seamless vinyl floors. The manufacturer states that the this particular laminate is suitable for bathrooms provided you leave space along walls and cabinets so it can expand or contract. However, a local salesperson advised that it may be OK in the half bathroom, but not in the full especially along the bath tub where moisture could most readily seep into the core of the laminate.

Have others encountered this problem, even with the use of silicon caulking and tape along the edge? If so, can you suggest any easy to install alternative?

Any insight would be much appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Old 05-24-10, 11:53 AM
Group Moderator
Laminate flooring is not wood, it's a picture of wood on a cardboard-like substrate. I would not put it anywhere near water.

Old 06-16-10, 08:43 AM
I installed Allure vinyl floors by Traffic Master in the laundry room and adjoining bathroom a few months ago.

Looks similar to laminate and hardwood

The seal on our front end laundry machine cracked, resulting in water leaks, some times looking like someone spilled a third of a bucket of water. We had to mop up the floor frequently until we finally got a techician to fix the rubber seal on the machine. No damage to the floor.

Old 06-16-10, 08:53 AM
Group Moderator
I've seen some vinyl that looked a lot like wood recently and I agree this would be a better choice for a bathroom

I prefer ceramic myself and it can often be cheaper than vinyl if you shop carefully

Old 06-16-10, 09:26 AM
Aside from Traffic master, I too have seen vinly floor plank floor that has an imitation wood appearance. Those were a little thinner. Also I don't like the lighter colored choices allure Traffic master floors offers.

Here is a link to give an idea what it look like

TrafficMaster - TrafficMaster Allure Cherry Resilient Plank Flooring - 12012 - Home Depot Canada

I had no prior experience with installing a floor myself. I had had tile and laminate floor installed professionally. The estimate for the section of house with laundry room/bathroom for tile was three thousand. I did the allure myself with with less $350 of material

Old 06-16-10, 10:15 AM
Group Moderator
We buy ceramic when it's cheap, our last purchase was a pallet and a half on clearance for 50 per 12" x 12" tile. In other words, we can put down ceramic for less than a buck a square foot including thinset and grout.