What kind of floor do I have (pics)

Old 05-25-10, 08:25 AM
What kind of floor do I have (pics)

First time home owner here. Trying to get into the DIY mindset.

I would like to start by cleaning and repairing some scratches and stains in my floor. However, I have no idea what kind of wood this is or what kind of finish is on it if any.

The slats, if that is the correct word, are about 1" wide, to give you some idea of scale in these pictures. They have a LOT of tiny nails in them, spaced about 1" apart as well.

Thanks for any information you can provide. I didn't take any pictures of the damaged areas, these are just to identify what type of floor it is.

Home, and floor as far as I can tell, were built in 1915.

Sponsored Links
Old 05-25-10, 08:57 AM
Super Moderator
No expert...but I can tell you that it is some type of oak...at least the grain sure looks like it. It's installed by "face nailing". Thats why the filled nail holes are visible.

I've never seen pieces that width..but like I said..no expert. The old houses I've been in normally had much wider planks. I believe 2 1/4"-3 1/2" or so wide is the most common now.

You would probably be able to really clean it up with a light sanding and a couple of coats of finish. I have to say, from your pics, it looks in pretty good shape as it is. A good heavy cleaning might be all it needs. Of course that won't take any scratches or gouges out.

Anyway..wait for the Pros to weigh in.

Old 05-25-10, 11:45 AM
Originally Posted by Gunguy45 View Post
You would probably be able to really clean it up with a light sanding and a couple of coats of finish. I have to say, from your pics, it looks in pretty good shape as it is. A good heavy cleaning might be all it needs. Of course that won't take any scratches or gouges out.
Cleaning is the problem. I am sure it needs it, but I don't know what to use. As I understand it, how you do a good deep cleaning depends on the finish and the wood. So, I have been scared to do anything except to sweep and use a damp dust mop, which really isn't cutting it.

Good to know though that it might be Oak. Any idea on if this is finished wood at all? Oil soaked?

Thanks for the time,
--greg.

Old 05-28-10, 09:55 AM
when you say 'about one inch' could it be one and half inches? If so that is a common dimension and is available today if you need to make repairs.

A sanding and refinishing will remove the 'surface dirt' you've been trying to clean. Any stains deeper than that have gotten into the wood and bring up a different set of circumstances - leave as is, replace the board(s), stain the floor to hide any discolored areas ...

Old 05-29-10, 03:53 PM
It certainly does look like oak, probably solid..(my guess, at least 5/8" thick, ) ..and face nailed as mentioned. The only way to get out the grooves and scratches would be by sanding out the floor.
Thats a BIG job, imo.. and dusty to say the least. (There is/are professional 'Dustless' systems out there.. but that's more $$ of course.).
Overall, the floor looks to be in pretty good shape.. and as for wood, it gets warn, grooved and scratched etal..from normal wear and tear. That's what brings out the 'character' of solid wood floors...!

Old 05-29-10, 09:14 PM
Hi Greg, I saw that dent, in the floor and if that's one of the reasons for working on the floor, I'd give you another suggestion first. All wood floors use to be oiled, back in the day, which is still available and it looks like oil to me. However, the owner could have put a top coat, but it's hard to tell if it was done a long time ago. There are wood floor cleaners, so I would check on line for one that works on oiled wood. There is a trick to removing a dent in wood floors. A dent is different that a scratch. The one I saw is a dent. Take a wet hot towel the length of the dent, rung out really good and place is on top of the dent. Make sure you have a couple layers of cloth and not one layer. Just don't soak the floor or cover more than an area you need. Good Luck

Old 06-16-10, 07:35 PM
Originally Posted by gfw123 View Post
First time home owner here. Trying to get into the DIY mindset.

I would like to start by cleaning and repairing some scratches and stains in my floor. However, I have no idea what kind of wood this is or what kind of finish is on it if any.

The slats, if that is the correct word, are about 1" wide, to give you some idea of scale in these pictures. They have a LOT of tiny nails in them, spaced about 1" apart as well.

Thanks for any information you can provide. I didn't take any pictures of the damaged areas, these are just to identify what type of floor it is.

Home, and floor as far as I can tell, were built in 1915.
You've got 1 1/2" Red Oak, probably 3/4" thick solid wood. It has been resanded at least once since the house was done originally and most likely has an oil-based polyurethane finish on it. Thats pretty typical in old homes like that. My company will fill small dents most of the time.. Big dents usually involve patching boards. If there is dirt pitted in the grain and there are scratches and such - I would resand the floor. I dont know how many companies do it, but at least my company uses dust containment equipment standard on all of our remodel jobs at no extra cost.

Hope that helps a little.