Laminate plank direction dilemma

Old 06-03-10, 09:14 PM
Laminate plank direction dilemma

I am laying out a laminate floor in a condo all rooms. There is windows and a glass door on one wall only.
Option 1: If I lay the planks Perpendicular to the windows as the sun shines in, it will not enhance the seams. But the hallway will be railroad tracks style.
Option 2: Lay the planks parallel to the window wall however the sun may glare on the seams, but the hallway will look normal.
What would most people opt to do?
Thanks,
Sal

Sponsored Links
Old 06-03-10, 09:55 PM
did you consider turning the hall? Run them the same direction, use a t-post to separate them. How would that look?

Old 06-06-10, 04:27 AM
Yes I thought of that, but I wouldn’t want a T-bar to disrupt the flow of the hall. The entry of the hall does not have a parallel opening. So the T-bar would be at an edge on one side of the hallway and 2 feet down the hallway wall on the other side. It would just not look right. I still have some painting to do so any other ideas are welcome.
Thanks for your input.
Sal

Old 06-07-10, 10:08 AM
I would think that most people would lay the planks parallel to the windows. I have laminate laid parallel to a slider in my kitchen, and an eight foot bay window in the living room. If it were perpendicular, it just would not look right, and would probably "enhance" the seams more.

Old 06-07-10, 10:15 PM
Iíve decided I am going to do it parallel to the windows. However, when you do that, the slight imperfections at the seams create tiny little shadows on the floor and that what is meant by enhancing the seams. If it where a real hard wood floor it would be sanded completely smooth and you would not have that problem. BTW, So does yours look fine parallel?
Sal

Old 06-08-10, 02:51 PM
Yeah, it looks fine. I have no seam imperfections that I can see or feel, and I do not believe you should either.

Good luck.