Laminate click-lock vs. solid wood for mountain cabin

Old 06-08-10, 12:19 PM
Laminate click-lock vs. solid wood for mountain cabin

I need some advice... I would like to install wood floors in the living-room, entrance, kitchen of my mountain cabin. The cabin sees quite a few swings in temperature, air humidity, over the seasons, and in winter, some snow attached to shoes may fall on the floor in small amounts... we cannot keep the floor guaranteed dry (but we don't plan on having large spills!).
I am considering these floorings:

* Home Legend click-lock. This is a composite click-lock (with an oak veneer, but the veneer is only esthetical).

* Home legend 1/2-inch engineered. This is a glued sandwich like plywood. We could install it floating but the installer prefers to nail it down regularly as gluing it together is messy.

* Home legend 3/4-inch solid.

The area is only about 600 sqft; the click lock including installation is about half as expensive than the others.

Any advice? I'd like to go with the cheapest that lasts well under the conditions... Many thanks!!

Sponsored Links
Old 06-08-10, 02:50 PM
Group Moderator
First, welcome to the forums

Second, what kind of materials are going to come into contact with this floor?

If you anticipate wet feet, I would rule out laminate. If you anticipate sand or dirt, I don't think I'd go wood of any kind but would lean toward something more durable, like ceramic.

Old 06-08-10, 03:23 PM
Hmm... I replied, but I don't see the reply any more...

Anyway, on the wooden floor there will be a dining table with chairs... and the floor is in the transit area between entrance door, garage door, balcony, so we will often walk on it without removing our shoes. So I expect some dirt in Summer, and some small pieces of snow may fall on it in winter as we bring in ski boots, etc.

Stone/tile is going to be too cold on the feet, and carpet would get dirty due to the high traffic, hence my consideration for wood...

In the main house, we have one of these old oak floors, and the small scratches due to dirt do not show up, as the floor is worn. But these Home Depot floors are super-smooth... will tiny scratches show up too much? Would we be better off calling a real floor installer, and have him install and varnish an oak floor (starting from raw wood, not from the Home Depot solid wood)?

Old 06-09-10, 11:26 AM
Group Moderator
I think the best bet if you want wood is going to be an engineered floor with an aluminum oxide finish

Old 06-10-10, 07:51 AM
Many thanks! I will look for one.