Laminate floor upstairs with carpeted stairs

Old 06-15-10, 09:38 PM
Laminate floor upstairs with carpeted stairs

I am laying laminate floor upstairs. How should I end the laminate floor at the stairs going down. Due to safety reason, I chose carpet over laminate on the stairs.

1) Should I have a carpet landing area around the first step, and use a reducer molding to transition from laminate to carpet.

or

2) Should I end the laminate up to the first riser and use a stair-nose molding, with carpet on the riser tucked under the stair-nose molding. If I do this, I am guessing I will have to cut the pre-existing bull-nose on the first step.

What do people in similar situation normally do?

Many thanks for any help & advice from the experienced diyers.

Sponsored Links
Old 06-16-10, 04:15 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Welcome to the forums! How does your main floor nosing land in relation to the laminate? If you don't have a nosing, you can install a transition nosing adaptable for laminate. But either of your suggestions would work. Having a small LZ on the top of carpet with proper transition would work, too, although I prefer having the flooring go to the edge of the stair.

Old 06-17-10, 01:54 PM
Originally Posted by chandler View Post
Welcome to the forums! How does your main floor nosing land in relation to the laminate? If you don't have a nosing, you can install a transition nosing adaptable for laminate. But either of your suggestions would work. Having a small LZ on the top of carpet with proper transition would work, too, although I prefer having the flooring go to the edge of the stair.

Thanks for the reply.

My current plywood sub-floor on the 2nd floor ends as an overhang nose over the first stair riser. If I have to put the laminate floor up to the edge of the stair, I am guessing that I would have to cut-off the existing overhang stair-nose, and use a stair-nose molding for the laminate floor.

If I am to go with a carpeted landing zone, what should be the width of the landing zone from the edge of the stairs?

I am hesitant to cut-off the existing stair-nose edge, so am leaning towards the carpet landing zone solution.

which of these two would be a more durable solution?

Thanks!