Engin. Hardwood Installation: Glue or Staple?

Old 06-16-10, 07:50 AM
Engin. Hardwood Installation: Glue or Staple?

Hello everyone.

I purchased a raised house with plywood subfloor. The house came with boxes of engineered hardwood flooring. The previous owner of the house told me where he got the flooring from and that I could get my adhesive there. (The previous owner is an experienced renovator and has lots of real estate.)

I was told by a friend that gluing the floor down in a raised house isn't the best option and that I should staple it (or nail it, people have used these terms interchangeably).

I went to the flooring supply store and they were very professional and knowledgeable. I asked them what the best way to install this would be. They said 9/10 people would staple it in a raised house, but that I could glue it also. They suggested that stapling was easier and faster than gluing. They also said they don't recommend gluing for inexperienced installers.

My sister, brother-in-law and myself will be installing. While was are quite experienced at working with ceramic tile and slate, we have never installed wood flooring.

What method do you suggest for install?

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 06-16-10, 10:40 AM
Now someone else has suggested floating it.

What should I do?

Old 06-16-10, 10:43 AM
Group Moderator
What does the manufacture recommend?

Old 06-16-10, 12:49 PM
Originally Posted by Tolyn Ironhand View Post
What does the manufacture recommend?
I was on the phone with the manufacturer earlier today (turns out Armstrong makes Capella) and they said either method would be appropriate.

Can anyone recommend one over the other and for what reasons?

Thanks!

Old 06-16-10, 12:54 PM
Group Moderator
Personally, I would rather staple then glue because it is faster, less messy and you can walk on it right away.

Old 06-16-10, 06:43 PM
I do Hardwood Floors for a living, and I work with many types of flooring every day. Just about everything we install above-grade is nailed down. The only real exception are floating floors, or floors installed over radiant heat.

Be sure when you have the proper nailers before trying to install the floor. 1/2" thick products will have a small tongue and need a smaller 1/4" crown 1 1/2" long staple. 3/4" thick products are stapled with 1/2" crown 2" long staples. These are general guidelines.

I'd save a few good boards and set them aside in case you ever have to patch a board or something.

Old 06-17-10, 05:38 AM
Thank you all very much!

I think we'll try the stapling.

Old 07-06-10, 01:40 PM
Group Moderator
Originally Posted by Legal v8 View Post
I'd save a few good boards and set them aside in case you ever have to patch a board or something.
Excellent suggestion, flooring seems to have a short shelf life and we see a lot of people looking for help replacing a board or two but who are running in to trouble because the product has been discontinued and they can't buy any more of it