Need help for the hardwood floor installation

Old 06-22-10, 09:47 AM
Angry Need help for the hardwood floor installation

After I finished nailing the third row, which is actually the first hidden nailed row, I stepped on it. It was good. But after I finished the 4th row and stepped it again, 2 short solid wood planks of 3rd row squeaked. The sound was obviously from tongue and groove. I'm wondering how does that happen and how to prevent squeak in installation. To fix squeak, can I add couple face nail to those two short planks?

Sponsored Links
Old 06-22-10, 01:00 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
More nails might help. Are you using roofing felt under the hardwood?

Old 06-22-10, 01:19 PM
I used #15 felt paper on whole subfloor. For some planks, before I hit the nailer, if I feel a bit gap between bottom of plank and felt paper, I insert extra small #15 felt paper or #30 felt paper pieces underneath.

Old 06-25-10, 06:25 AM
Hey qhwang,

What is the subfloor? If it is less then 3/4 plywood that might be a problem. Assuming the appropriate subfloor, you might find as you continue to nail down additional rows that the rows "support" each other and your squeaky wheel might get the oil....Think about it like this, if you had two short boards 'inline' then the next row next to the two short boards you have a 7' board that will help lock in the shorter boards with the tongue and groove, HOWEVER make sure your subfloor is up to NWFA standards. Hope this helps....HW4L

Old 06-29-10, 09:21 AM
Originally Posted by Hardwoods4less View Post
Hey qhwang,

What is the subfloor? If it is less then 3/4 plywood that might be a problem. Assuming the appropriate subfloor, you might find as you continue to nail down additional rows that the rows "support" each other and your squeaky wheel might get the oil....Think about it like this, if you had two short boards 'inline' then the next row next to the two short boards you have a 7' board that will help lock in the shorter boards with the tongue and groove, HOWEVER make sure your subfloor is up to NWFA standards. Hope this helps....HW4L
My subfloor is 3/4" plywood T&G. I normally don't have 2 consecutive short boards in a row, if I have a very short board, the board next to it in the new row usually 2 times longer. I'm quite sure it's hardwood rubbing at joint. The strange thing is when I finish a row, they are very good by testing. But after the next row is finished, one or two joints of previous row may squeak. Now I have almost finish entire the first room. Many joints have this problem. I use the Bostitch Manual Hardwood Flooring Nailer, so I use a lot of strength to hit. Is it possible when hitting very strong, the new row has impact to the previous row and make that joint loose a bit?

Last edited by qhwang; 06-29-10 at 09:38 AM.
Old 06-29-10, 12:28 PM
Another possible reason I came up with is the nails are too close to the end joints. I had 1" at beginning and 1.5" later. The production manual suggest 1"-3" at minimum.
Here suggest 3" at minimum.
http://www.hardwoodinstaller.com/har...s-quantity.htm