Confused about Engineered Wood quality...

Old 06-28-10, 04:47 PM
Confused about Engineered Wood quality...

I am putting in 1500 sq feet of engineered Brazilian Cherry or Santos Mahogany on my slab floor. After some research, it is difficult to determine the quality (ie some uniformity-considering it's a natural wood, length of the planks, durability, etc.). It seems like the Mannington or Mirage are very nice, but over-priced. We got a box of "Gemwoods" (imported from a China through a importer) and it was crap: a thin veneer and the grain was fairly radical. So far in my research, "Urban" flooring seems reasonably priced, but the planks seem shorter(?).

Of these two species of wood, I am looking for something that is high quality, decent grain/color matching, good length and fairly priced. I'm willing to pay for quality, but not for something that can't be noticed. (Is engineered ever graded as "clear" cut, etc.?) Has anyone tried "Brazilian Direct" or is it foolhardy to spend $6,000 plus on an online product? Any recommendations from installers and/or homeowners?

Thanks in advance. Tom

Sponsored Links
Old 06-29-10, 11:44 AM
I'd suggest you get yourself to flooring store(s) where they offer a variety of brands that you can actually get your hands on. Typically they'll even have a 2ft by 2ft section of the materials put together for you to get an idea of how the product looks. From there, either deal directly with that store and order thru them if you're confident in your selection, point, click and have it shipped to your house.