Painter's tape took varnish off my floor - how to repair?

Old 06-30-10, 09:32 PM
Painter's tape took varnish off my floor - how to repair?

We just bought our first house (built in 1961) and one of the selling points was the lovely golden oak hardwood flooring hidden under the hideous blue carpet. Unfortunately after we pulled the carpet up we had to have plumbers and drywall repairmen come in for some work. They put down plastic on the floor and taped it down with blue painters' tape. Since the plastic was down I took advantage of the floors being covered to scrape the ceilings and paint the house, so the plastic & tape was in place for about 3 weeks. Now when I try to remove the tape the floor varnish comes off with it! It's happened in every room so far but of course is worst in the main hallways and living room. How can I repair the damaged areas?

Sponsored Links
Old 07-01-10, 03:38 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Welcome to the forums! Have you already finished the floors? How much time between the finishing and the application of the tape. Normally painter's tape will not pull off a surface. It is always advisable to finish floors AFTER drywall guys, plumbers, electricians, etc. get through with their jobs. If you haven't finished the floors, you will probably have to sand them, anyway to take care of the residual carpet padding and staple holes.

Old 07-01-10, 03:47 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
it's always best to remove tape as soon as possible. For whatever reason tape seems to stick harder the longer it's left in place

I agree that sanding and recoating the floor is the fix.

Old 07-01-10, 06:21 AM
Group Moderator
I'm not sold on that blue tape, it does seem to stick hard after a couple days

Old 07-01-10, 08:19 AM
Just an FYI for anyone reading the thread. If you MUST use tape on hardwood floors, only use 3M/Scotchguard #2080 for Delicate Surfaces.....it's the one with the orange core, and the only one they recommend for hardwood. Even then, it should only be left on as long as is absolutely necessary to finish the task at hand.

Another helpful reminder....never cover hardwood floors with plastic; the plastic can trap moisture beneath it and do all kinds of damage to hardwood. If you need to cover a floor, only use a breathable covering, like Builder's paper or red-rosin paper.

Old 07-01-10, 05:37 PM
Well, the floors were already finished when we pulled up the carpet. There was a little bit of opacity to the finish but it was overall in OK condition. Hard to say when they were finished and how long the carpet had been there. I am just sick about it because the floors were probably the only thing in the house that didn't need work, and we have already pushed back our move-in date several times to accomodate contractor delays. Tn. floorguy, I wish I had seen that message a month ago!