wood to wood transition/saddle

Old 07-02-10, 07:43 AM
Question wood to wood transition/saddle

Hi,
We are installing flooring in our new addition and are wondering what the preferred transition is through doorways when there are different types of hardwood on either side (the wood likely will be going in the same direction). I'd prefer not to use the "speedbump" saddles I've seen....
thanks for your help!

Sponsored Links
Old 07-02-10, 08:20 AM
Group Moderator
First, welcome to the forums

Second, is there a height difference between the two surfaces? If not, I can't see a problem having the two adjacent to each other just like if they were the same material

Old 07-02-10, 08:30 AM
Wood to Wood transition/saddle

"Second, is there a height difference between the two surfaces? If not, I can't see a problem having the two adjacent to each other just like if they were the same material"

Thanks for the welcome. No, there should be no height difference (new construction, even subfloor). So, beyond a saddle being easier than doing some tricky cutting to get the flooring to meet nicely under the doorway, there is no reason to put one in? The flooring is oak and birch...

Oh, and I forgot to mention (if it matters) that we have not installed doors yet - they will be prehung-type.

Last edited by msgwendell; 07-02-10 at 08:37 AM. Reason: left out information
Old 07-02-10, 09:56 AM
Group Moderator
I don't think I'd put one in - I think this is in the category of 'up to you'

Old 07-02-10, 07:19 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
I agree with Mitch. Same level, just continue the flooring. Make sure the color changes under the door and not to either side of it. Looks better from each room that way.