Wood floor options for sunroom

Old 07-02-10, 02:14 PM
L
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Wood floor options for sunroom

We'd like to have some sort of wood floor installed in an uninsulated, enclosed portion of our deck. Right now there is only a plywood subfloor. When we bought the house, the subfloor was covered with a vapor barierr, 2' x 2' squares of 3/4" or so particle board and then covered with an outdoor carpet. It smelled and looked awful, which is why it's gone.

I have read and/or been told there would be expansion and or moisture problems associated with installing a wood floor in this space. I looked into interlocking deck tiles, but that seems like a pricey solution when all we want is something that looks better than a plywood subfloor or outdoor carpet.

Would it be possible to install plank flooring with small gaps between for expansion? Any suggestions are appreciated!

BTW we are in Seattle, so while the room doesn't get too hot or cold, it can get humid.

Old 07-02-10, 02:20 PM
S
Group Moderator
Received 1,279 Upvotes on 1,217 Posts
First, welcome to the forums

Why did the room smell bad when the carpet was in there - moisture content?

Any aversion to ceramic tiles? Some prep work would be needed but I think this would be a better long term solution than any wood product.

Old 07-02-10, 02:34 PM
L
Thanks!

The room smelled like wet dog . I think the previous owner kept animals in there. Even after 4 years we can still smell it when the room gets warm in the summer.

We had considered tile but thought the grout may crack due to floor movement. It's a second-floor deck with joists spaced 24". Could there also be weight issues with tile? I'm assuming we would need to lay down hardiboard or similar for the tile.

Old 07-02-10, 02:40 PM
S
Group Moderator
Received 1,279 Upvotes on 1,217 Posts
Definitely would be questions to answer and prep work for tile - there's a product called SnapStone which is a porcelain tile with a rubber backing which can go down on almost any flooring surface. When you factor in the tiles and the special flexible grout, it can be several dollars per square foot but that sometimes beats regular tiles and prep work by quite a margin.

Old 07-06-10, 02:32 PM
L
BNystrom,

Thanks for the suggestion and link. I have been looking into engineered and am glad to hear it will work because we really like the look of it. And the price is much nicer than those deck tiles!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: