The proper way to lay flooring in adjoining rooms

Old 07-07-10, 06:50 PM
The proper way to lay flooring in adjoining rooms

Im going to attempt to put down some laminate floor in a few days. This will be going into the living room and bedroom. What is the proper way to install the floor. Do I need any transition strip at the doorway or is it normally acceptable to run the floor straight under the door and continue laying throughout the next room? Hope that made since?

Another quick question while im at it. This brand name purchased had some mixed reviews. Actually I can only find one site that even had customer reviews on this brand and it only had a handfull mostly complaining about confetti sized chips on top of the floor after just a few months.....I tend to believe most people will only voice complaints and rarely bother to put in the time to voice a opinion if they are happy with the product. How reliable is the AC and IC ratings? It has a AC 4 IC 2 rating.

Sponsored Links
Old 07-09-10, 02:03 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
The one problem with carrying laminate through to another room, you don't have the ability to reverse the flow of the lay. With hardwood you can use a transition spline and begin installing your flooring in the opposite direction. With that said, it is best to transition in the door way and change direction, applying a flat transition piece.
Others may have better solutions, so stay tuned.

Old 07-09-10, 11:47 PM
I thought about doing something like that. It would go against the manufacturer recommendation of going parallel with the light in the bedroom if I change directions.

I will probably end up just running straight under the door way and keep going. I should probably keep it simple as im a newbie to this kind of project.

Old 07-10-10, 04:52 AM
Just keep in mind how you will reverse direction once you are in the room. Think through it first.

Old 03-07-12, 07:16 PM
looks like i'm a few years late but i have the same delima..i started in one room and went right out the door and across teh hall and into the next room...now i will ahve to lay 8/10ths of the room backwards...is this even possable? i am a real novice..first time trying it but so far so good

Old 03-07-12, 07:27 PM
Not with laminate. Or at best, very difficult. You generally start at the most recessed area and work from that point. I would remove the 1/5th of the room you have laid to the threshold of the door, then start that room again either on the opposite wall or turn your flooring in another direction. You will use a transition strip in the doorway, leaving about 3/4" of gap between your flooring in each room.

Old 03-08-12, 04:29 PM
the first room is fine..i went from west to east with the door at the east end of the room..out the door and into the next room (this is where i guess i should cut the floor and use a transition piece) once out the door of the room i started in i also want to keep ging east down the hall and into the front room (this part of the floor will be locking in as per the instructions. Thanks for the insight on how to do this