Hardwood floor scratches

Old 07-11-10, 12:37 PM
Hardwood floor scratches

Good afternoon,
A few weeks back I had the oak hardwood floor in my living room re-done. They did it in Dark Mahogany stain & three coats of polyurethane I own a German Shepherd it look real nice.
Yesterday I had this guy I know come over & do in front of the front door with tile he did an excellent job.
Well somehow one of the tile was laying on the hardwood floor & kicked & it scratched the floor.
I read on this one site to use olive oil & vinegar mixed together & rub it on the scratches let it sit on them for 24 hours well that did nothing once I buffed it off.
Now my question is I bought a small can of Minwax dark mahogany stain (Cause I thought one day the dog will scratch it!)
First question is can I use that stain in the scratches which are very small but are bugging the hell out of me with a fine brush that I use for model building? Second is the polyurethane which scares me ok I know how to put the stain down & wipe up any that is not in the scratch but the Polly how would I apply that?. I have read a nail head to a lot of things but I would think a brush would work the best? As I have wider model brushes. Or should I just go out & buy that pen Minwax sells I read that on there site.
Any Help or tricks would really be great!
Thank you so much!
Will,

Sponsored Links
Old 07-11-10, 01:42 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Are you sure you need the stain? usually scratches go thru the finish [poly] but don't usually affect the stain. How deep are the scratches? Poly can be difficult to touch up, generally you need to do an entire room although you might be able to just do entire boards - they would need to be sanded lightly first. I suppose it might be possible to apply poly just to the individual scratches, filling the scratch, not brushing the entire board.

Old 07-11-10, 07:54 PM
Originally Posted by marksr View Post
Are you sure you need the stain? usually scratches go thru the finish [poly] but don't usually affect the stain. How deep are the scratches? Poly can be difficult to touch up, generally you need to do an entire room although you might be able to just do entire boards - they would need to be sanded lightly first. I suppose it might be possible to apply poly just to the individual scratches, filling the scratch, not brushing the entire board.
There really not that deep at all as a matter of fact a few friends came over & thought I was crazy. I don't know but on the Minwax site they sell these stain pens & according to them you rub the color in rub the excess off. Once dry you just use a drop of poly. I might call the guy who did them he is some relative of mine & owns this floor buisness. See the thing is my mother died a month ago & it was there house & being the only child I got it & as I said it's only my German Shepherd & me so I want to fix it up & when I get something done well money is tight & who knows if the factory I work at is going to be there tomorrow. Anyway I just want it to look nice but these tiles were pretty heavy & when that one was kicked it slid across the floor.
Thank you for your help I just thought by putting some stain over it that would hide it?
Will,

Old 07-12-10, 04:17 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Sometimes wiping a stain across a scratch will hide the scratch but often it will color the scratch darker. Rarely is the scratch deep enough to remove the stain. I've never used those stain pins

IMO getting your relative to check it out would be best. Seeing the scratches in person is better than going off of a description Would the scratches show up in a pic if you posted one?

Old 07-12-10, 05:08 AM
Group Moderator
Yeah, unless this is really deep, I don't think stain is what you want to add

The finish coat (poly) may need to be touched up but probably not the color (stain)

Old 07-01-13, 11:21 AM
Exclamation Marred newly refinish hardwood floor

I have a similar problem with a scratch. I moved an end table over the floor I guess it had not finished curing. I had felt on the bottom of each leg and it wasn't that heavy but it left a 6ft scratch across the boards. The scratch is not very obvious, it is the shiny mark from the felt. The floors are a satin/matte finish. I am afraid to put polyureathan on it after I sand because some people have said you can't blend it with the existing. I thought since the new poly is only 2 weeks old it might blend. Can anyone give advice on how to make the repair seamless? Thank you!

Old 07-01-13, 12:35 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Welcome to the forums brown88!

Have you already sanded it? if not, I'd try scrubbing the scratch with a rag wet with mineral spirits. It might buff out enough to be acceptable. If you've already sanded, you might try painting just the sanded boards with poly. Cut it in cleanly to the adjoining boards. With a little luck it should blend in within a few days.

Old 07-06-13, 03:24 PM
hardwood floor marred

The scratch is not noticeable, it is the sheen left from the felt on the leg when I dragged the furniture. I haven't tried anything yet, but will buy some mineral spirits to see if it removes the sheen. Thank you for your response. Attached is a copy of the floor. Much worse in person

Name:  Photo797.jpg
Views: 892
Size:  22.9 KB