How to repair Squeaking floors with carpet on?

Old 12-04-00, 07:28 PM
hurdle
Visiting Guest
Question

Hi,

I am living on a 2 story townhouse and there are many squeaking places on the master bedroom on the 2nd floor. It has carpet on, and I can't reach the floor from the bottom. What I understand to fix it is to screw on the floorboards against the floor joist with long screws. But if I screw thru the carpet, there will be some noticeable spots on the carpet. Is there other way to fix this without taking off the carpet? Also, how difficult is to take out the carpet and reinstall them? Any special tools required? Do I have to hire a contractor to do that? Will a contractor want to just to do a single room? How much do you think it will cost?

Sorry for such a long list of questions...

Thanks

Old 12-04-00, 09:12 PM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
The following is not mine, but I shameless stole it off another forum. I thought it might be of some interest to you. Good luck.

There is a tool you can get at Home Depot that is designed for this and you dont have to pull up carpet. It is in the carpet section. It consists of a metal platform that you use to guide screws in (with a power drill). The platform stops the screw at the proper penetration and then use use the bottom of the platform to insert under exposed screw head and snap it off at surface level. Worst problem with this system is finding floor joists. The kit comes with screws. I think it is about 20 bucks.

Old 12-06-00, 09:58 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Cool

The squeak tool sucks, and it too leaves small holes. Don't even think about using it on loop pile carpet!!!
I specialize in floor squeaks for new home builders here in Austin. You need to get the carpet and pad up. I try everything to keep from cutting seams open!! I fold bathrooms closets into the main room, being careful not to tear seams apart. Then roll or fold the main room, then folding it back into the hallways.Carpet is meant to be installed, not taken up.
You can rent a powerstretcher and a knee kicker to reinstall it onto the tackstrip, and use a putty knife to tuck it back in the gully between baseboard and the tackstrip. You may need a razor knife to cut off excess, before tucking.
I have found most squeaks that are next to a wall are actually the nail in the floorplate of the wall squeaking in between the span of the joists of the floor. We take the baseboard off and with a long screw, go through the sheetrock, into the floorplate, into the subfloor.

It is not a DIY job, especially if seams in the carpet need to be opened.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: