Flooring for a Home Office

Old 07-19-10, 05:55 PM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Flooring for a Home Office

Currently we have builders grade carpet in the Home Office. I have one "executive" chair with 5 plastic wheels on it. It sinks into the carpet so I have, so far, used 3 of the clear office mats with "fingers" on them, carpet side down of course. They eventually puddle, crack and I usually roll off the end. Now I am shopping for a replacement floor.
1. re-carpet (maybe use glue down, no pad, commercial carpet?)
2. Engineered hard wood??
3. Laminate AC3 or better??
4. Laminate that looks like stone/brick. Usually ac4?

Then most likely, get a non finger mat or a good quality throw rug for 2,3,4.

Appreciate any solutions for this. Tx

Old 07-19-10, 06:20 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Upvotes: 0
Received 10 Upvotes on 9 Posts
You may get better service from the Laminate look stone (Allure comes to mind). Is the office on a wood floor or concrete? I know you're gonna hate this, but how about 12x12 tile? Put rubber wheels on the chair and it should last a lifetime.

Old 07-20-10, 12:48 PM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
It's a concrete floor. I have tried a test sit and roll in my house on some laminate, engineered wood and 16x16 ceramic tile. Besides the tile/grout click, I would think the wheel pressure might break or crack it, If you were talking about 12x12 vinyl tile...you are right the wife would hate it. Tile store guy showed me some "vinyl" type pieces yesterday (6x24"??) that had some suction cups on the bottom that he tested at home and said that after they were settled in, they were unmovable?? They had a wood grain pattern to them.

Old 07-20-10, 02:50 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Upvotes: 0
Received 10 Upvotes on 9 Posts
Check into the Allure. It is thin, and doesn't have that cushy feel to it, but is pretty durable. The ceramic tile click is why I suggested changing to rubber wheels on the chairs, to minimize it.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: