Bruce Natural Reflections 5/16 flooring install

Old 08-02-10, 05:16 PM
Bruce Natural Reflections 5/16 flooring install

I am attempting to install Bruce 5/16 flooring. I am seeing a wave like appearance in the flooring (width) that I don't understand. Is it because I am gluing it down--the retailer gives me conflicting answers on how to install this floor.

Sponsored Links
Old 08-04-10, 12:13 PM
What type of adhesive are you using, and what is the substrate? 5/16" solid flooring is very susceptible to "cupping, which is what it sounds like you are describing. Cupping gives the floor a wavy, washboard look...the edges of the boards are higher than the center. Cupping is caused by a moisture differential between the bottom and top of the boards; if the bottom is more moist than the top, the boards will cup.

First, you should only be using a full-urethane adhesive; any type of water-based adhesive will cause the floor to cup.

If you're going over concrete, you have hopefully tested the slab for moisture emissions to make sure they aren't elevated. Even then, regardless of the current moisture levels, you would be well advised to use a trowel-on moisture vapor barrier that is compatible with your adhesive when installing solid flooring over a slab.