Floor Level Changes, Please Help

Old 08-13-10, 09:47 AM
Question Floor Level Changes, Please Help

I recently had my floor refinished and had a contractor put tile just inside the door with a floating hardwood floor everywhere else. But for some reason, the level of the tile relative to the level of the hardwood is WAY OFF. They had to install a hardwood to carpet transition to try to make up for the difference in height. I now have a "curb" of trim between my tile and hardwood that is nearly an inch high! I pointed this out to the contractor and said it was a tripping hazard. He claims that the "industry standard" for a tripping hazard is 1" and since this is under 1" this is acceptable. If I want them to fix this I have to pay extra for them to come up with something.

Is anyone familiar with this "industry standard"? This seems extremely dangerous to me and I think it's wrong but I'm not sure how to go about proving it. Thanks for any responses!

Joe

Sponsored Links
Old 08-14-10, 05:14 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
You will have a transition, so you may have to live with it. HOWEVER, I have never heard of an "industry standard" as to how high the transition is to be. Using common sense, too high a transition can be a trip hazard. To thin a transition can split and break. You gotta settle somewhere in the middle. And above all, he should remember the customer is right. You should remember there is just so much he can do with the difference in elevation.
I make all my transitions rather than relying on what happens to be in the store. That way they can be exact to each job.
How "off" is "way off"?

Old 08-16-10, 07:21 AM
Originally Posted by chandler View Post
How "off" is "way off"?
If I stand a quarter on it's side against the edge it is as high as the quarter. So it's a least an inch give or take.

Old 08-16-10, 03:39 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
That's not a transition, it's a traffic speed bump!! I find no need for a transition to be that thick, UNLESS the otherside of the coin is only 1/4". You didn't indicate that. If the transition is that substantially out of balanace, someone didn't do their homework and bring the floors to reasonable levelness.

Old 08-27-10, 01:19 PM
We have a big difference like this between our bathroom tile and the hardwood in the hall outside of it. The bathroom needed self-leveling compound due to some slight settling over the last 80 years that caused a sloped surface, and it needed a certain amount of plywood to prevent deflection for tile installation. Add on your Hardi (the thinner Ditra was too expensive) and you've got quite a height. You can't do anything to the original hardwood outside of it to bring it up to that same level. So we have a speedbump also. I was worried it would be dangerous, but frankly, once you know it's there your body just adjusts and you automatically step up. Nobody has ever stubbed a toe or tripped on it.