Engineered Flooring swishy in one spot

Old 08-16-10, 09:01 AM
Engineered Flooring swishy in one spot

We recently had an floating engineered floor installed in in upstairs bedroom. It is beautiful. One problem, though, is in one corner of the room evidently the subfloor had dropped just a bit, not obvious to the eye, not obvious when we had carpet, but extremenly obvious once the floating engineered floor was installed. Even when we put the baseboard down, when you walk over that section of the floor it goes down a good 1/2 inch and pops back up when you step off the section. But the lock in boards are not splitting apart, it's just an entire section moves up and down.

Two questions, is this something that should be fixed? and if so, what are the risks of fixing it as opposed to letting it be?

Sponsored Links
Old 08-17-10, 11:33 AM
It is ultimately your call, but I would advise correcting the subfloor, especially if it is in an area that does get traffic. That much deflection is an extreme amount for a floating floor, and over time it is likely that the locking system will be damaged and boards will gap.

Old 08-17-10, 12:30 PM
Group Moderator
If you had this installed, I would have the installers come back out to address this

Old 08-18-10, 12:19 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
I would definitely fix that, pretty soon you would have to replace the floor boards in that area, they WILL get damaged if left that unstable!