Discolored Hardwood Floors

Old 08-17-10, 11:45 AM
Discolored Hardwood Floors

Hello, I recently had new unfinshed red oak hardwood floors installed with minwax early american stain. In a few spots near the baseboard & kitchen island (about 6-8 inches off), there seems to be dulling/discoloration etc. It almost looks as if the area of concern did not receive a coat of polyurethane.

My thought was to buy more early american stain and apply it with a cloth to the area of concern and wipe off the excess. Then after it dries, add a coat of poly....??

Does anyone know how I can post a picture?

Sponsored Links
Old 08-17-10, 12:29 PM
Originally Posted by knsilbert View Post

Does anyone know how I can post a picture?
One method is to go to one of those free picture host sites like imageshack, get an account there and post the link to the pics here.

Old 08-17-10, 12:55 PM
Old 08-17-10, 01:31 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Welcome to the forums!

How many coats of poly have you applied? sand and dust between coats? Do the areas in question feel rougher than the rest of the wood?

Often a light sanding and another coat of poly will fix the spots that don't quite look right. I couldn't tell for sure what the problem is from the pics

Old 08-17-10, 01:43 PM
Im not sure the exact process they used when they installed the floors, but I think they did 2 coats of Poly & sand/dust between coats.

Yes, the areas in question do feel a little rougher than the rest of the wood...

Originally Posted by marksr View Post
Welcome to the forums!

How many coats of poly have you applied? sand and dust between coats? Do the areas in question feel rougher than the rest of the wood?

Often a light sanding and another coat of poly will fix the spots that don't quite look right. I couldn't tell for sure what the problem is from the pics

Old 08-17-10, 01:54 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
It's probably the roughness and the way it reflects light that makes you think you see a color difference. The fix would be to sand, dust and recoat the floor. It would be difficult to just touch up the affected areas. IMO you should always go with 3 coats of poly, it's hard to get a decent job with just 2 coats.