Leveling old parquet?

Old 09-17-10, 01:16 PM
Leveling old parquet?

So I've got a house with a cat pee problem, so I've taken out the drywall, flooring, and trim in the smelly rooms. I had no problem with the vinyl tiles, but the hall way has some 1/2" thick parquet glued down to the wood subfloor (second story). When I tried to pull up the parquet, it took some of the subfloor with it so I decided it was better to leave it. It's stuck on pretty good, the only problem being a little sag in between the joists. It's all getting a coating of Kilz this weekend to seal up whatever's left of the urine.

I want to lay down some engineered floor or laminate. I was going to flatten the sags and fill in the gaps in the parquet with Feather Finish, and then install a floating floor above that. What do you guys think? Comment, suggestions?

Sponsored Links
Old 09-17-10, 02:20 PM
By the way, I was considering just cutting out the subfloor and starting fresh, but one of my buddies told me that replacing the subfloor would compromise the structural integrity of the building. There's plenty of stuff on the interwebs about replacing subfloor, and not one of them mentions taking building structure into account. BUT... this guy has built a couple houses himself and repairs wooden sailboats so he does have the credentials... wouldn't be the first time he was full of it though.

Old 09-20-10, 03:14 PM
Mike:

Be careful with any patching compound as it may break apart with seasonal movement. Although most parquet flooring is quite stable in that the material is mostly rift and quarter sawn (very little movement) I would try another method to fix the sags. I've heard of using fine clean (masonry) sand, newspapers, and even saw dust for filling minor subfloor variances in preparation for a floating floor.