Scratches and Blotchy Spots Noticable After Staining

Old 09-26-10, 08:06 PM
B
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Scratches and Blotchy Spots Noticable After Staining

I just stained my freshly sanded oak floors with a Minwax stain. Although I didn't notice any scratches or ridges from the drum or edger sanders before the stain was applied, they are now quite apparent after the staining. I also have a few extra dark blotches in a few areas.

Is this something that can be remedied by a palm sander? Like, maybe I can simply sand out the scratches and the blotchy spots and then restain them? I definitely want to address the problem areas before applying urethane. Any ideas?

Old 09-27-10, 04:25 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 869 Upvotes on 760 Posts
The dark areas are probably where the wood is softer and absorbed more stain - not a lot you can do for those areas. The sanding scratches will need to be sanded out and restained.

Old 09-27-10, 08:09 AM
S
Group Moderator
Received 1,280 Upvotes on 1,218 Posts
How fine a grit sandpaper was your final sanding? Usually, you want at least 150 if not 220 grit before staining to minimize the appearance of scratches.

Old 09-27-10, 06:23 PM
B
The final sanding grit was 100.

I sanded out the scratches today, so I'll be staining those areas again tomorrow. My main worry right now is that when I stain those spots I'm afraid that the surrounding areas that I didn't sand will become darker than the rest of the floor -- since they'll essentially be getting a second coat of stain. Will staining wood twice make it darker, or will the wood have absorbed all that it could from the first go around?

I think the extra dark blotches on the floor were a result of not doing a good enough job wiping off the extra stain. I re-sanded those blotches and I'll be re-staining them. I'm gonna wipe the hell outta them this time, though.

Old 09-28-10, 05:14 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
It can be difficult to touch up stain. Hopefully the wood that still has stain will be sealed good enough so it won't take more stain. You'll need to pay careful attention to how the stain is being absorbed and wipe accordingly.

Old 09-30-10, 05:00 PM
B
Ok, so good news and bad news. The spots that I had re-sanded and re-stained downstairs turned out perfectly! No problem with the blending of the touched up area with the rest of the floor. Upstairs, however, is a different story. The touch up spots upstairs are still pale in the middle (for some reason they're not taking the stain as well). I tried re-staining them several times, too, and now the surrounding area is significantly darker from all of the extra coats of stain that they've gotten.

Should I re-sand the pale AND darker areas, water-pop the bare wood, and then stain again, or should I just re-sand the entire floor all over again? I cringe at the mere thought of starting over, but I'd almost rather do that than to keep trying something that won't end up working. BUT, the downstairs did end up turning out great?! Any suggestions?

Last edited by beekrock; 09-30-10 at 05:40 PM.
Old 10-01-10, 02:56 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Sometimes light areas will take more stain if you use sandpaper along with the stain to rub the stain into the wood. Be sure to only sand with the direction of the grain! A wet thinner rag might help you to scrub off the excess stain surrounding the light area.

As a painter, I only do floors occasionally and while I've heard of the 'water pop' method - I've never done it. I'd try to fix the stain 1st and resand the entire floor only as a last resort.

Old 10-02-10, 06:44 PM
B
Marksr- The wet thinner rag worked like a charm!!! I wiped with the rag and then restained, and then wiped with the rag again. It blended things very nicely!

Will I need to use some sort of cleaner to get the thinner residue off of the floor or will the polyurethane adhere regardless?

Old 10-03-10, 04:24 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Oil base poly will have no issues with any thinner residue. I haven't use enough waterbased poly to know if the residue would be an issue but would think as long as the oil stain has thoroughly dried - there wouldn't an issue.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: