new pergo floor in basement

Old 12-15-00, 06:02 AM
Visiting Guest
Unhappy

Help!
I'm confused on wether I should install a pergo floor directly to the cement foundation of my basement or wether I should apply (2) 1/2" plywood or pressboard sheet sub-floor. Either way, do I need to install a plastic sheet vapor barrier? I read on another internet site that this should be done and that a 6" overlap around the perimeter edge should be left also. I'm looking for the right way to do this not necessarily the cheapest. I want a smooth solid floor when I'm done. If I install directly to the cement what would be the procedure for this? Also, If I do the subfloor, what would be the procedure for this option. As a last question I would like your opinion on wether you think Pergo type flooring is a good choice for a basement Rec. Room.
Any and all help is greatly appreciated.

Old 12-15-00, 06:22 AM
Visiting Guest
Louie, a wood subfloor is not necessarry, since wood doesn't stop moisture anyway. Pergo is a floating floor, wich means that it is glued to itself, not the subfloor. The plastic is necessarry and yes you want to lap it up the walls at the edge of the floor. Pergo can be installed below grade, but the concrete still has to be dry, flat, & sound. Just make sure that read and follow the installation instructions and you should be fine.

Scott Stephens
http://www.stephensfloor.com

Old 12-15-00, 08:13 AM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Pergo has great installation instructions, in writing, on video and in live classes. I recommend you go to Home Depot -- they'll let you watch the Pergo video, and you can go on the weekend when they have their Pergo installation classes. All the information you are asking for is very clearly spelled out in all of these media.

You can also go to almost any on-line flooring retailer and read the installation instructions on-line.

Old 12-15-00, 08:43 PM
Visiting Guest
thanks for the pergo help everyone.

Looks like I'll be reading up on installation instructions and attending a Home Depot seminar.

Old 12-15-00, 09:10 PM
Visiting Guest
John, the guy at our local Home Depot who teaches the installation classes has never been to a Pergo school himself and is not a certified installer or instructor. He told me that he taught himself. From some of the installation questions he has asked me I don't think he has any business going any where near an actual job site. I would be very wary about taking any technical advice from the associates at Home Depot.

Pergo does have some great instructions.

Scott Stephens
http://www.stephensfloor.com

Old 12-16-00, 09:39 AM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
According to Pergo, installation is so easy that you can easily teach yourself via the video. I wouldn't expect the Home Depot employee to be a certified installer, and I would hope that that wouldn't be necessary.

If I was paying someone to install my Pergo, I'd certainly want a trained installer. But if I was doing it myself, I would have lower standards. However, I agree that you should take all Home Depot advice on any subject (and certainly all web advice!!!) with a healthy dose of skepticism. For any serious questions, I'd call Pergo's toll-free number and get advice directly from the company.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: