How do I use laminate flooring spacers with hot water heat baseboard units?

Old 10-19-10, 07:21 AM
How do I use laminate flooring spacers with hot water heat baseboard units?

Hello,

I am planning to install laminate flooring in our Living Room. On my starting wall I have two forced hot water baseboard heating units. Both end caps and the face metal shields can be removed, but there is the back piece which is mounted to the sheet rock and that piece goes to bottom of floor.

I am pretty sure I can figure out how to cut laminate for the pipes themselves, but my issue is that where the metal is against the wall and I use a spacer that spacer will jut out more then the spacers against the regular wall.

How do I account for the difference so that the first board is installed evenly against the wall?

Thanks,
Millhouse

Sponsored Links
Old 10-21-10, 11:03 AM
Well, lots of views but no replies. Was planning to start this weekend on this project. Hard to believe no one else has run into this issue. Well, if I figure it out I will at least post back with an answer.

thanks,

Old 10-21-10, 04:10 PM
spacers

Millhouse, If I'm seeing the problem correctly probably the easiest way to solve it would be this. Chalk a line at the room edge of your first row, for example if your boards are 7" wide your line would be 7" + width of spacer from the wall. At any obstruction measure back toward the wall from your line. If it measures less than 7" calculate how much needs to be cut from your piece remembering to subtract the width of the spacer. Assuming everything is square and say your heater measures 6 1/2" from your line then you would cut the wall side of your first board at a width of 6 1/2" - width of spacer. Hope this helps

Old 10-21-10, 07:01 PM
if i understand your problem correctly :

i would assemble 3 rows of laminate. then slide them towards where they need to be. when an obstacle is encountered, trim that back. continue until you get the boards up to the wall. measure to the back of the 3rd board to make sure that all is going in straight. then click in more from there.

Old 10-22-10, 10:50 AM
Post Whoo-Hoo Thanks for answer

Hi,

Thanks both condo-owner and madfloors.

madfloors, your answer makes complete sense. I sure do home the room is square. It is 27 feet long and varies from 12-14 feet wide. My only other thought was that I understand the spacers come in different sizes and I thought using say a spacer of 1/2" where wall is and then a 7/16" size where the baseboard metal heat wall plate is. I think the baseboard metal heat wall plate is only about 1/16" inch thick.

Or I also thought about leaving the tongue on the boards where it meets the regular wall and maybe ripping the tongue off where the board meets the heat metal back plate.

Anyway, thanks again to you both. I really appreciate it Now at least I have a couple of options available when I start to lay flooring.