hardwood stairs: do nosings crack?

Old 10-22-10, 10:18 PM
hardwood stairs: do nosings crack?

We're having hardwood floors installed and are debating between doing the stairs as treads (single piece of wood) or using the same wood pieces as the floors, with nosings. Treads are more expensive and have to be stained, so they may not match the floors perfectly. Using pieces of the wood will give us a perfect match, but we're concerned that the nosings will crack over time because they are narrow and its where all the weight of the foot goes. Does anyone have any recommendations which is better?

Sponsored Links
Old 10-23-10, 05:20 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Using hardwood to cover the steps will result in cracks, plus you will have to treat the leading edge with a roundover bit and stain it anyway. Using proper treads with bull noses is the best way to go. Stain can be matched, and the edge will be less likely to crack under weight, since they are out there in free air.

Old 10-23-10, 05:31 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Larry, I think toecheese means using a piece of oak nosing like you use at the top of a landing and then the oak flooring inplace of the 1 piece thread.

I've stained and finished a lot of staircases but don't remember anyone using anything but a solid [actually often smaller pieces glued together] threads for the steps.

Old 10-23-10, 07:09 AM
I think solid treads would be stronger, but any stock prefinished stair nosing should still be intact long after I'm gone. You say perfect match. From my experience most floors have variation in color with many different looking boards though all of the same shade. It shouldn't be a problem matching treads to your floor. Ask the flooring manufacturer if they have a stain to match. Hope this helps.

Old 11-10-10, 06:50 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
You can do it either way. Sometimes the flooring looks really nice, and it is usually the cheaper way to go> If using flooring I suggest a combination of nails and glue.

Old 11-11-10, 08:22 PM
What is the width and thickness of the flooring material. Is it Oak or Maple?

Old 11-11-10, 08:43 PM
Originally Posted by bish80 View Post
What is the width and thickness of the flooring material. Is it Oak or Maple?
Engineered hickory. 3/4 thick with a 4 mm wear layer. Not sure how they do the nosings, are those engineered too or are they solid?

Old 11-12-10, 03:38 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Don't know for sure but all the nosings I've ever finished were solid wood.