Laminate vs. Hardwood

Old 10-23-10, 07:51 PM
Laminate vs. Hardwood

Ok, so I need some advice regarding hardwood and laminate. We have just purchased a house and we want to redo the floors. It is currently a mix of tile, hardwood and carpet (nothing is consistent). We have 2 dogs so we have been considering the benefits of laminate floor. I have looked into Pergo as they claim to be good for holding up to large animals. I have looked at some Pergo in Home Depot but I think they look too much like laminate. I have also seen some by Bruce which are a little better. They have a matt finish, no texture and actually look like hardwood. However, here is my dilemma: I will be doing the entire house (1400 sqft, upstairs and downstairs). I am worried that the laminate will be too noisy especially upstairs. I understand you can install a good underlay but will this make it sound more like hardwood when you walk on it? On the other hand, we could go with hardwood but we have to realize it will be damaged by the dogs scratching it when they launch themselves to the front door to see who is ringing the doorbell. Arghhhhhh!!! It's driving me insane trying to figure out the best way to go.
Any help would be much appreciated!
Thanks all!

Sponsored Links
Old 10-24-10, 09:03 AM
Its a very common problem. I have done Hardwood in my dining room. It looks nice and "walks" quiet. In three of my bedrooms I have done laminate, experimented with different type's of underlayment, (felt, bubble and rubber) can't tell much difference between them. I use area rugs in the center to quiet up the room. We keep our dogs nails trimmed pretty good no damage in the last 3 years. YMMV p.s. We have concrete floors. You might try to pick a small area upstairs install laminate and make your choice before commiting to the entire house.??

Old 10-25-10, 08:35 AM
Group Moderator
I think I'd go with an engineered wood floor with an aluminum oxide finish

Old 10-26-10, 08:11 PM
Thanks for your input guys.

Ok, so now I'm looking at bamboo flooring. I was in Home Depot. They have a very VERY durable bamboo floor. The small sample piece was heavy and even after dragging my keys over it, it didn't leave a mark However, there was another bamboo floor product there that even breathing on it seemed to scratch/dent it. I have read it's to do with the age of the bamboo, the more mature the grass is, the more durable it is. It feels so smooth and looks beautiful. Anyone had experience with bamboo?

Old 10-27-10, 05:17 PM
silent walk

i think you might like an underlayment called silent walk. its the best ive seen. it will cost you about .75cent/sft. but it is the best all around. thats if you go with laminate. hardwood would be better but i think the dogs would scratch them eventually. one thing to consider is the value of your home. choose what will help it.

Old 11-10-10, 06:46 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
For Bamboo TEragren is the best manufacturer. Otherwise hardwood is better than than laminate in every way; it is more durable, adds more value, can be refinished as needed etc

Old 11-11-10, 08:48 PM
I agree with rhodeshardwood. Eventually the floor will get damaged whether hardwood or engineered or laminate and it will probably be in a high traffic highly visable area. I recently tried to repair a customers engineered floor that needed some replacement pieces. Homeowner did not have enough and manufacturer no longer made that style. If had been hardwood, I could have just sanded the room. They will always make 2 1/4 Oak and Maple hardwood floor.

I also really like those bamboo floors, but I don't know if you could sand them.

Old 11-15-10, 10:15 AM
"For Bamboo TEragren is the best manufacturer. Otherwise hardwood is better than than laminate in every way; it is more durable, adds more value, can be refinished as needed etc "

I like this brand too and they seem to be fairly reputable.

Last edited by saraclark; 11-15-10 at 10:17 AM. Reason: Forgot to quote