Transition strips needed

Old 11-08-10, 07:32 AM
Question Transition strips needed

My downstairs has hardwood flooring (3/4 inch oak) and transitions to carpet in multiple areas and to ceramic tile in one area. Currently the transition strips are those tacky metal ones. I'd like to replace them with stained wooden ones.

What kind of transition strips do I use for the transition to carpet and tile? I want to use something that isn't going to leave a "hump".

Do I use screws or finishing nails to install it?

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 11-09-10, 06:18 AM
Unhappy

No one has ever put down a transition strip? Wow.

Old 11-09-10, 06:24 AM
Group Moderator
Settle down - you allowed less than 24 hours for busy professionals who volunteer their time here to read and answer your question

Old 11-09-10, 06:41 AM
YOu have to figure out of 47 views someone would have replied....

Old 11-09-10, 08:12 PM
Hang in there buddy...
You may need a transition strip..or a reducer or 'T' molding.. could be any of the like.
Have you checked with your local HD/Rona-Revy/flooring supplier etc to see what will work for your setup?
Without seeing what exactly you're trying to accomplish, its hard for us to advise...!

Old 11-10-10, 03:53 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
With what you have, you will have a slight hump. The big box stores sell T molding as Jatco mentioned, and some attach using a "receiver" strip fastened to the floor. You will just have to look to see which one is best suited for your application.
If you have access to a shop, and I assume you do, since this is a DIY forum, you can make your own. I personally don't like premade moldings. I make all my transition strips. Figure the profile you want, transfer it to the wood, and cut it on a table saw.
Next time I'll try to be a little faster with an answer. A good search would have provided the last 6 times I gave this same advice, but who's counting?

Old 11-10-10, 04:44 AM
Thanks for the advice... sorry to sound like a jerk.