Carpet Pad

Old 11-11-10, 05:49 PM
Carpet Pad

100 year old house. Going to install hardwood flooring on top of rough plank floor. Surface is carpeted now.

Question: Should I leave the carpet padding and nail the hardwood flooring over it or install some other vapor barrier?

Sponsored Links
Old 11-11-10, 06:58 PM
you DO NOT want to put the new hardwood over the padding .

i am thinking that you do not want a vapor barrier either.
but those more experienced will be along shortly.

Old 11-11-10, 07:44 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
LikePlay:

I've never installed laminate flooring, but I know it wouldn't be a good idea to install it over underpad. I do know that the manufacturers of laminate flooring make various kinds of materials to put down over a hard floor before installing the laminate, and you'd be better off using one of those.

I have, however, removed old carpeting. If, when you remove the underpad, you find little globs of what appears to be black grease sticking to the plank flooring, you can remove those with a strong solution of powdered laundry soap dissolved in water. Back in the 1960's, when foam rubber was first being made, black foam rubber wasn't very stable, and it decomposed to form those black blobs you can often find when removing old underpad. It's not grease, but it looks very much like black grease. Just remember that if you encounter that stuff, a strong solution of laundry detergent will remove it.

Old 11-11-10, 08:13 PM
Are we talking about tongue and grove hardwood flooring that you nail to the sub-floor or engineered flooring that you just click together and floats ontop of the floor.

Also, I assume that this is not in a basement or below grade floor.