Prepping for Pergo floor over concrete

Old 11-15-10, 09:10 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Prepping for Pergo floor over concrete

I am about to install Pergo 10mm laminate on concrete in my basement. The laminate comes with 3mm foam already glued on back. I am guessing i should put a vapor barrier down , right? Other question is I would like to put extra padding down for noise dampening and warmth. There is an underlayment called quietwalk that has a vapor barrier glued to it, but some sites say do not add any additional underlayment if the floor comes with it. Any advice on this?

One other thing, I have a long threshold where the laminate will meet slate tile. I have seen the threshold product that screwsown and snaps in place, but I don't think they make it that long (8-10') Any ideas on how to make that look right?

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 11-19-10, 05:24 AM
Im no pro , I have done 2 homes so far and in both I used the cheapest foam they sell at Lowes and it is plenty quiet, so I think two foam layers would be a waste. I had a large transition and had to two piece it also, just make sure its a nice fit and dont try to center the seem, put it all the way to one side or another away from where the most foot trafic will be ( and they do come in 8 foot lengths maybe longer) , The foam I used came with what they call a built in vapor barrier, but I put down visquene any way.

Old 12-01-10, 12:01 PM
Thanks, I started the first room and simply put a vapor barrier down and the floors with the attached padding only. Very easy to do and I think they will work great with the padding that is included. My transition is 10' and I have not found a threshold that long, but I like your idea of moving the seam to the side. Less noticable. Thanks.