Gluing transition strips to concrete?

Old 11-28-10, 08:30 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question Gluing transition strips to concrete?

I just installed Laminate flooring on concrete, and want to make my own transition strips. I will mill oak in my shop as my transition strips, but would prefer to GLUE, rather than screw to anchors in the concrete.

Anyone have any suggestions? I am considering EPOXY as my glue, but would consider other options that have be proven to work out.

Needless to say, I will have the surface clean and dust free.

The strips I will make will be 1/4" X 1-1/2" X approx. 36" wide, and bevelled on the outer edge.

Thanks for hearing me out.

Dale in Indy

Sponsored Links
Old 11-28-10, 10:14 AM
I just answered my own question......

I took some DEVCON high strength 5-minute epoxy, and mixed up a batch approx. the size of a silver dollar. I took a strip of the ACTUAL laminate flooring, cut it into 1-1/2" strips, bevelled one edge 45 degrees on my table saw, then smeared TWO quarter sized spots on the material approx. 3-4" apart. I cleaned off a spot under my work bench and laid the strip down. I put very little weight on it, just enough to hold it down and flat. The test piece is 12" long.

After 30 minutes I grabbed hold of of it, and found it firmly attached to the concrete floor. I will wait an hour to really give it a tug and see just how much pressure it will take. Instructions say 1 hour for full strength......

At this point I am feeling good about this test. The instructions DO say it is good on concrete.

Dale in Indy

UPDATE...... If you did use laminate material for your transition piece, remember most have as the backing a coating like FORMICA, and you will need to remove such where you put your epoxy. I used a 4-1/2" grinder, and BARLEY touched the surface to remove such. On a 36" wide transition strip I would suggest epoxy every 6-8" I started 3" in from ends, then one in the center, and spaced out from there.

Last edited by Smith Brother; 11-28-10 at 12:21 PM.
Old 11-28-10, 08:46 PM
i shoulda used that stuff. the glue i used wasn't fully dry after 7 days =
but it is still holding strong 2 years later.

Old 11-29-10, 05:15 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
Dale, thanks for the information. I just installed 3 in a 1000 sf engineered flooring set up. Well they don't make good engineered flooring transitions, so I made mine. I used an epoxy and it seems to be holding pretty well.