Marble Transition Problem

Old 11-28-10, 07:37 PM
Marble Transition Problem...Please Help!

Hello. I am installing laminate throughout my condo and ran into a little problem today. Where the hallway meets the bathroom, there is a marble transition block. There are tiles in the bathroom and the marble piece is cemented to the floor. The hallway sub floor is plywood. I have no idea what I should do here. Should I leave the marble and put quarter round where the laminate meets it? (I know that I need to leave 1/4 in expansion gap). I dont think the appearance would be ideal if I did it that way. Any other ideas? I dont really have the tools to remove the marble nor do I know where to even begin if I had the tools. Any insight would be extremely appreciated. Thanks!

Last edited by MarcCheech; 11-28-10 at 08:24 PM.
Sponsored Links
Old 11-28-10, 09:13 PM
If the transition can be removed without effecting the tile, that would be my suggestion. If not, don't use quarter round, use an end cap, if needed, cut down the height for a better transition. Since the different heights are unknown, this is the best idea. We have a great source of pros here, so I know you will find the best solution.

Old 11-29-10, 04:12 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
You are sort of in Catch 22, since you can't nail the quarter round to the marble, and you can't nail it to the flooring. I would either remove it and run the laminate to within 3/4" of the tile and install a laminate transition piece, OR make your laminate cuts along the marble really good and either use an Elastomeric caulk between the two or use screen molding and adhesive to hold it down to the marble, not to the floor. Screen molding is much smaller and won't look out of place.

Old 11-29-10, 07:59 PM
Thanks for the replies! I like all of the ideas but I've measured and the height of the laminate is pretty much the same height as the marble (tiny bit shorter). It seems the only suggestion that would work is using the Elastomeric caulk and I really don't know how that would look. Any other suggestions besides taking the marble out? Also, how would I remove the marble that is cemented? I have absolutely no idea where to even start. Thanks so much.

Old 11-29-10, 08:19 PM
OK I should have waited for a response but was a idiot and pried the marble transition out. 2 new problems arose.

1. some of the cement is higher than the plywood in the hallway. How can I level this out?

2. When removing the marble, in one spot the cement came up with the marble piece. How can I fill this in? I dont want to pour cement because I have never used it before and have no clue what im doing. Is there like something in a tube i can buy and spread in the space that will harden?

Please help. Thank you..thank you...thank you

Old 11-30-10, 04:17 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Was the tile in the other room applied over a concrete underlayment? I only question it because you haven't mentioned the tile being much higher than your laminate, and it should be, thus the transition strip. You can grind the cement off with a grinder until it is the same level as your plywood subflooring. For the indention where the concrete came up, you can use a self leveling pourable material. It is designed for ease of use. Look for it at home centers. You mix it up to the consistency of yogurt or lighter and just pour it in the indentation until it is full. You don't need to trowel it as it will "self level" and harden.
Let us know how things are going. We're here.

Old 11-30-10, 02:25 PM
Thanks a lot for your help Chandler. I decided to just chisel out the rest of the cement and used the self leveling material that you suggested. It is drying now but looks really good. Yea for some reason the laminate will be slightly higher than the tiles. I know its weird but It seems the plywood under the cement is lower that the plywood any where else in the house. Im pretty sure the bathroom tiles are original from when they built the condo 25 years ago so who knows. I will run the laminate within 3/4 in to the tile and use a T transition piece. I hope it looks alright.