Help with stain!

Old 12-13-10, 01:23 PM
Help with stain!

Hi all! Okay...so I just moved into a "new" apartment in LA. Basically the newest part of the apartment are the floors...and...well... I already have a stain...because...while I was attempting to clean the old tile in the bathroom I used a tile and grout cleaner (acidic based). I then sat the bottle on the laminate floor next to me which left a lovely white outline of the bottle

I tried a baking soda paste and that has been about it. Is there anything I can do to savage this floor tile?! Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 12-13-10, 07:05 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Kbla88:
Take a damp sponge and wipe down the area with the stain in it, and see if the stain essentially disappears as long as the area is wet, but reappears as the surface dries.

I don't believe it's a stain. I believe the acid simply etched the surface of the laminate, and the white discolouration isn't really a stain at all.

If the white outline does largely disappear when the surface is wet, then it's not really a stain at all. The white colour is caused by the roughened surface of the laminate, and you can largely remove that white discolouration by restoring the smooth surface of the laminate. I'd do that by diluting one part clear acrylic nail polish with one part water, and wiping that solution over the area with a small piece of cloth wet with that dilute clear nail polish. Paint the whole area with a wet rag, not just the area that's been discoloured. Keep the rag wrapped snugly in a clear colourless plastic bag between coats so the rag doesn't dry out.

I don't hang around this forum much. You can usually find me in the Painting forum tho.