What can I install over wide plank pine floors?

Old 12-27-10, 12:46 PM
What can I install over wide plank pine floors?

I live in a 25 yr old home, open concept cape with wide plank pine floors (planks vary from 10-12" wide) Due to wear and tear, and the fact we have animals, I would like to install something over the entire downstairs floor that will be more pet friendly and easy to clean and maintain. We sanded, stained and polycoated the floors to a darker mahogany and they are not wearing well. I don't think the gaps as they trap dirt and debris. Is it possible to install a sub floor over the pine planks and do a cork or other type of flooring? Will the sub floor have to float to account for the wide plank expansion and contraction? Should I just take the wide plank out and install a sub floor before installing new floors?

I am leaning towards cork or tile for my new flooring.

Thank you for any insight you can provide.

Leela, New Hampshire

Sponsored Links
Old 12-27-10, 01:03 PM
Group Moderator
Welcome to the forums

Ceramic cannot be installed directly on top of planks, might be simplest to remove them if you want to go that way

No experience with cork but seems like it would wear less well than wood

Pine is pretty soft, a harder wood like oak might give you acceptable wear results

Last edited by stickshift; 12-27-10 at 01:25 PM. Reason: removed extra spacing
Old 12-27-10, 01:11 PM
Super Moderator
Pine floors are very nice and easy to maintain. Did you refinish yourself of have a professional? I have wide pine in my cape and the finisher contractor filled the cracks with wood filler. Sanded down well and stained not too dark. The trick to staining is it will get darker after a coulple of coats. Did you put enough coats? Then polyurethane makes it even darker.

I like the real pine and I have all oak downstairs. These old capes have a great look about them. I personally would not put anything over my floors.

But if you insist on covering the floor someone here in that profession will guide you.

Mike NJ