Hardwood Flooring Uncovered

Old 12-30-10, 07:59 AM
Hardwood Flooring Uncovered

We pulled up some old berber carpet that was here in our 1940's home and discovered hardwood flooring.

We'd like to save it- but there are some pretty rough patches where someone had used subfloor, and other boards to patch it. I'm having a really hard time finding unfinished 3 1/4" planks locally, and even online. Anyone have any suggestions?

Also, would stripping and refinishing be a daunting task for someone who has never done it before? I *think* it's oak. We just can't bring ourselves to tear up something like this- but I don't know how it would look with boards that are new as a patch. Also, there is parquet flooring glued on top of what I think is hardwood in the hallway. Could that be salvagable?

Any advice would be great!

Sponsored Links
Old 12-30-10, 11:16 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
I must have hit the incorrect button. I lost a post. Great discovery. Too bad it is blotched with subflooring. So we can get a view of what you see, could you post a few pictures http://forum.doityourself.com/electr...your-post.html
Seeing it will help us give you better advice.

Old 01-24-11, 11:35 AM
Wondering how you made out - I too uncovered a wood floor in questionable shape (holes for heat/electric/chimney) If i opt to sand this floor, I will likely end up painting it.

I plan on cutting flooring out of the closet to replace the boards where the chimney was, use a hole saw on same closet floors for plugs for holes in living room floor......

Old 01-24-11, 07:13 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Now, if everyone will come down front and sit on the same pew.........let us see some pictures so we can comment half intelligently. We can't see what you see.